Research for final project

Looking for inspiration for my final project I looked at the work of Gjon Mili and Michael Wesley, both of which use movement within their photography but in completely different ways.

Gjon Mili uses electricity-like movement, creating images which are much more abstract than any other practitioner I have looked at. He uses strong lighting and movement within his photos to create fluid images. I have also noticed a pattern within his work that he uses people doing a particular movement/within a particular profession. e.g. a ballerina, a dancer, a juggler. The inspiration I have got from his work is mainly movement and use of lighting. This could be included in my project of synchronicity and the use of street lights/lights from cars, and the movement of people, cars and even trains.

01265524.jpg Gjon-Mili4

Another photographer I have looked at is Michael Wesley and his use of time and architecture. His photographs create a story within them, portraying busy cities but within a calm environment, something which could be reflected in my own work.  He has created these images by doing long exposures of buildings during their construction. I definitely want to play upon his use of a long exposure within my final project as I am aiming to capture a busy city but create the people as one fluid motion.

michael-wesely-MoMa-011 wesley

Both Michael Wesley and Gjon Mili create images in black and white, along with Alexey Titarenko’s work, which is what I will reflect within my own project.